Our church and denomination has a rich history and for that we give God all the glory. Take a few moments to read a little more about who we are, what we do, and how we can help you in your walk of Faith.
Our mission is to help lead people into a growing relationship with Jesus Christ by creating a dynamic environment for authentic worship and effective communication, while developing genuine community with each other.
WHAT WE DO
The Cumberland Presbyterian Church in McKenzie, Tennessee was organized on July 17, 1867 with the Rev. J. M. Davies and 19 charter members, using the name “Bethlehem congregation of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church at McKenzie, Tennessee. In 1872 land was purchased from J. M. McKenzie on Stonewall Street for $400 (1 1/3 acres). The congregation did erect a frame building at the back of the property but met building difficulties and actually worshiped at Bethel College for some years. In 1892, after a 5-year building program, the congregation moved into their new building with Gothic architecture, high vaulted slate roof, tall steeple and memorial art-glass
windows. The building still stands at 647 Stonewall Street and now houses Bethel University’s Bethel Performing Arts Center where the Renaissance Choir and Theatre have performances.
In 1920 a seven-room brick manse was constructed on the northeast corner of the church property for $8,000 and was used as a pastor’s residence through the years. The original Educational Building with Fellowship Hall named after Fannye Baxter Moore was built in 1960.
This building now houses Bethel University’s Nursing Program.
In 1997 the congregation felt it was time to re-model and enlarge their facilities or build. After much research and with conflicting emotions, the session recommended that we build a new church facility. Approximately 18 acres of land was purchased at 16835 Highland Drive in McKenzie and a new church building was erected. On February 2, 2002 (the birthday of the Cumberland Presbyterian Denomination founded in 1810), the congregation had their final worship service in the old church on Stonewall St. and carried the altar, pulpit, baptismal font, brass cross, candlesticks, altar cloths, offering plates and other items to the new church where everyone gathered for a Service of Communion and a potluck dinner. The stained glass windows were also moved to the new location.
In 2013, the church family held a groundbreaking ceremony for our new 450-seat sanctuary. The exterior was completed in 2015. The people of the church decided to retire the debt for the cost of the exterior before finishing the interior. In 2019, the outstanding building debt was relieved and construction of the interior commenced in 2020.
On January 10, 2021 the first service in the newly erected sanctuary was held. The stained glass windows from the original location as well as the pipe organ are installed in the new building.